Five Types Of Cosmetic Dentistry
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
In our last blog we talked about restorative dentistry so this month we thought we’d run through cosmetic dentistry and what this involves.
There is a growing demand for cosmetic dental procedures – apparently, only nine percent of people worldwide are completely happy with their teeth!
Cosmetic dentistry, or aesthetic dentistry, is often referred to as a Smile Makeover or a Hollywood Smile and at Bonaventure Dental Care we offer a complete range of procedures using the latest cutting-edge technology.
According to the American Association of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), the majority of cosmetic dental patients fall into the 40-50 age group (26 percent) followed by the 50+ age group (25 percent) whilst around three-quarters of cosmetic dental patients are female.
Why Do You Need Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on the appearance of your teeth and smile whilst restorative dentistry looks at improving or restoring your oral health. Although they are different, they are not mutually exclusive and overlap with many treatments.
We all have things we would like to change about our appearance and for many of us, our smile is at the top of the list.
Perhaps your teeth are crooked or stained or missing altogether? A Smile Makeover can dramatically improve your confidence and self-esteem, and there are so many different ways to do this from whitening your teeth to straightening teeth or replacing missing teeth.
Five Types Of Cosmetic Dentistry:
- Teeth Whitening: A dazzling white smile is not just for celebrities! Did you know teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure in the US? It is used mostly to lighten or remove stains and discoloration. It’s an easy, painless, and very effective procedure to instantly give you a smile to be proud of.
- Dental Veneers: These are thin tooth-colored covers made of porcelain or composite resin which go on the top of your existing teeth and can change the size and shape and hide any gaps for instance. They can cover one or more teeth and are individually custom-made which means veneers are one of the quickest ways to give you a complete Smile Makeover.
- Orthodontic Treatment: : Having straighter teeth not only helps boost your confidence and gives you a great-looking smile, but straight teeth are also good for your oral health as they improve bite issues and make them easier to clean. There are all sorts of braces available although today invisible clear aligners like Invisalign are the most popular and very effective.
- Gum Contouring: Sometimes gums are uneven or cover too much of your teeth resulting in a ‘gummy’ smile. If this is the case, we can basically contour your gum tissue which can make a noticeable difference to your smile.
- Dental Implants: If you are missing one or more teeth then Dental Implants are a great option as they are strong, durable, and look like natural teeth. Although surgery is required, they last for years and not only give you a winning smile but give you the comfort and confidence to eat what you like, smile, and laugh again.
You can find out more about the cosmetic dental treatments we offer here at Bonaventure Dental Care in Baton Rouge via our Cosmetic Treatment page. Meanwhile, if you have any queries about what type of treatment you may require just give us a call at 225 753 0123.