All I Want For Christmas Is Two Front Teeth
Although ‘two front teeth’ may be what most six-year-olds would like, the majority of us would probably prefer some new pajamas, an iPad or a spa day voucher!
With Christmas just around the corner we here at Bonaventure Dental Care in Baton Rouge decided to look at some oral health gift options for kids and parents that are practical or just good fun.
Tooth decay in children
Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease among children in the United States and it is reported that 40 per cent of kids have decay by the time they reach kindergarten. Encouraging kids, from an early age, to brush their teeth and have good oral hygiene health habits can help prevent cavities and tooth decay further down the line.
The American Dental Association recommends a visit to the dentist from the age of 12 months or when their first tooth appears. These appointments can help give parents advice on tooth care and tips on how to brush young teeth.
With that in mind our dental team in Baton Rouge has put together a few Christmas gift ideas which focus on the teeth and oral hygiene.
Top 5 teeth friendly gift ideas for children:
- Baby tooth holder – super cute idea to store baby teeth in a specifically designed box. Some are made of environmentally friendly wood and is a lovely keepsake gift. These can be found in most retail outlets such as Amazon, Walmart and Etsy.
- Sugar Free candy – who doesn’t like chocolate or candy for Christmas! There are lots of zero sugar options on the market today to choose from. A much healthier option all round especially for young teeth.
- A two-minute timer – to help get your little ones into the two-minute toothbrushing routine there are lots of fun products out there whether it’s an electric toothbrush with buzzer timer or for manual brushes there are funky themed sand timers, motion liquid bubble timers, musical timers or stopwatch style buzzers.
- Playdough dentist set – great idea for little kids as this not only teaches them about their mouth, teeth and oral hygiene, but hopefully educates them and excites them about a visit to the dentist.
- Books about dental hygiene – some great ones out in the market today to educate in a fun interactive way. Dr Seuss’ The Tooth Book is a fun rhyming book for very young kids and explores how teeth grow and how to look after them.
Top 5 teeth friendly gift ideas for adults
- Dental travel kit – a practical gift for anyone who is going off to college or travels for work or pleasure. These come in all shapes, sizes and prices.
- Water flosser – a variety on the market from small cordless water flossers to larger electric kits. These are a useful accessory to help remove plaque and food stuck between your teeth and are suitable for adults and children.
- Electric toothbrush – a variety of brands, styles and price options. Although a toothbrush is perhaps not the most exciting of gifts, you can also buy customized manual toothbrushes for example or cute little name tags which hang onto electric toothbrushes for that personal touch.
- Whitening treatment – why not gift your partner, parent or sibling a tooth whitening treatment? At Bonaventure Dental Care we offer in-office treatments or home whitening kits which are perfect for patients who want to brighten their smile. A gift that will keep on giving! Click here for the options.
- Novelty toothpaste dispenser or squeezers – a silly gimmicky gift. Dispensers can be themed for adults or kids with animal or character heads whilst toothpaste squeezers are a good stocking filler gift idea especially for the annoying partner who never squeezes the tube from the bottom 😊
Feel free to contact us here at Bonaventure Dental Care in Baton Rouge if you have any questions about oral hygiene. We’ll be happy to help you.